Another round of wet weather is on its way for this three day weekend, and we are VERY optimistic about this mornings forecast from the National Weather Service. The prediction is for snow levels to hang around the 5,500′ level to start the weekend, and drop a bit by Monday. If that holds true, that is GREAT news for you; it means snow falling on the slopes, but snow-free roads just ~6 miles down the road. Currently we are sitting on PLENTY of snow, and we hope to add more this weekend.
In addition, next week is SKI WEEK for many of you, and we will be open all 7 days next week. Weekend/Holiday pricing will be in effect for this Holiday Weekend, with reduced midweek pricing in effect for your Ski Week (Tuesday through Friday). As always, please pay close attention to the weather and road reports before starting your trip; there are currently no chain restrictions in place, although that may change, and there is always the possibility for fluctuations in the snow levels once these storms come our way.

This is slated to be a busy ~10 day stretch for us, as many of you take advantage of the holidays and a phenomenal snow season. We look forward to a wonderful weekend, and hope you can join us!

As far as weather goes, this has turned into one of the most bizarre winters for the Sierra’s. As you may have noticed in the local weather reports, snow levels were very high for most of the week, giving us the same rain and thunder storms the rest of Northern California has been experiencing. However, the GREAT news is that the 12+ feet of snow we received in January can’t be knocked out that easily; we will be open this weekend with plenty of snow on the hills! The forecast calls for dropping temperatures on Friday and a solid dusting of snow atop the tons of snow already coating the park, with clearing skies anticipated for Saturday, There are currently no chain restrictions in place, and the roads look to remain fairly good for the weekend. As has been the case for the last few weeks, the break in the weather is lining up perfectly for your weekend, so if you want to avoid the heavy crowds we might see on President’s Day Weekend, this might be the window you are looking for. We hope to see you soon, and we wish everyone a safe and dry weekend!
The groundhog has spoken, and it’s not over yet. We have massive amounts of snow on the hill, and it sounds like we can expect more over the next couple of months. This weekend is shaping up to be slower for us, and this may be a great opportunity for you to join us, as many people who are focused on the Superbowl will be staying home this weekend. Conditions are great, however, and it would be a shame for you to allow them to go to waste. Weather forecasts are predicting precipitation for most of the next 5 days or so, but not nearly the amounts of snow we saw last month, with snow levels fluctuating as the next several storms pass through the region. Chain controls were in effect this morning, but were lifted by early afternoon; chain controls may be put back in place at various points this weekend. Please pay attention to the weather and consult the CalTrans Website for the latest information on chain controls before starting your trip. We hope you can join us this weekend and enjoy the traditionally slower atmosphere on the hill. If you are still waiting for the “right time” to get up here, you have plenty of time before the snow melts; so says the groundhog! Have a great weekend!
To say we have a lot of snow is a HUGE understatement. The storms over the last two weeks have literally left us with more snow than we know what to do with. We were forced to close to start this week simply so we could throw all our resources cleaning up the effects of these BLIZZARDS. We are OPEN again for business, with a spectacular snow-base we haven’t seen in at least six years, and don’t worry, this snow isn’t going anywhere for a while.
With the weather projected to be clear for about a week, we expect many of you will want to take advantage of these conditions this weekend, and we are looking forward to a busy few days as we continue snow removal operations and prepare to greet every one of you. As a reminder, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pay close attention to your favorite weather app and check the Cal Trans Website before starting your trip. Although the weather is looking great, conditions can change, and the region is still feeling the aftereffects of these storms. Chain controls are currently in effect and will likely continue for several more days; chains OR 4WD with snow tires (and chains in the vehicle) are required. Cal Trans, CHP, PG&E, the County, and numerous other agencies are out, working overtime to ensure public safety and address damage; please drive sanely.
We hope to see you up here as we celebrate the return of winter. Please, have a safe weekend!

We are closed for the day and intend to remain closed until Thursday. The massive amounts of snow has resulted in impassible roads, no power to the business, and many employees unable to make it to work. With conditions set to continue for the next few days, we need to focus on getting the park 100% up and running for the weekend. Trust us, its a blizzard out there and you want to plan a trip for later in the week, month, or season. We will update as time permits but we are closed Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday!


It’s snowing… A LOT, and we are CLOSED at this time! The storms over the last two weeks have produced massive amounts of snow on our hills, including 2 feet of snow over night, bringing us close to 10 FEET of snow outside our windows. Winter weather is expected to continue for the first half of this week and tapper off as we get closer to the weekend. We will update you on conditions as the weekend approaches.

As of this moment, snow levels are down to 3,000 asl. Chains are required and will be for most, if not all, of the week. Power lines are down throughout the county. There have been many vehicle accidents regionally. CalTrans, the County, PG&E, CHP, et al are playing catch-up in a massive way. And it will continue to snow. Likewise, we are playing catch-up as we dig ourselves out and try to prepare for your visit. Due to current conditions, we are CLOSED until Thursday morning. When it comes to what the weather, roads, or other snow play conditions will look like later this week, we simply do not know as of this moment; we will update as we can.

We are thrilled to have this much snow on the hills… but it can stop snowing any time now. This is going to be a GREAT snow year, with plenty of time of awesome snow play. We want to see every one of you in the near future, but we need you to have a safe and fun day, so we are CLOSED at this time; please, please, please, pay attention to the weather and road reports through official sources before planning any trip, and stay tuned in here for future updates.


January looks to be a VERY good month for drought stricken California, and all you SNOWPLAYERS will benefit this season if you time your trip correctly. Here is what we know as of today for this upcoming weekend of snow play FUN:

Another storm is set to impact the region starting Friday Morning and extending into Saturday Morning, with temperatures cold enough to give us another solid dumping of snow. There will be a small break on Saturday before a second storm comes our way on Sunday. Depend on how seriously you take the Weather reports, we could see another couple feet of new snow over the next 72-96 hours, with snow levels potentially dropping down to around 3,000 ft asl. (http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/280890/mother-lode-wind-advisory-sierra-nevada-winter-warnings.html)

Currently we have PLENTY of snow on our hills for tons of wonderful snow play, and these new storms will only help extend your snow play season. If you intend to join us this weekend for some fun in the fresh snow, PLEASE pay close attention to any changes in the Weather Reports (I’m sure you all have at least one weather app on your phones) and changes in road conditions by checking with CalTrans at http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi.

Please, have a safe weekend as these storms continue to bring much needed relief to California and the Businesses that rely on snow and water. We hope to see you soon; have a great weekend!


Post-Martin Luther King Weekend Update
This HUGE weekend is in the books, and it’s been quite the ride. In 10 days we went from plenty of snow, to torrential downpours, to being closed for several days, to a four foot dumping of powder, and finished it off with a holiday weekend with a window of great weather. Our staff is, needless to say, exhausted after such a wild 10 days, and the management of Leland Snowplay want to thank all our loyal customers who continue to visit us and bear with us as we all contend with Mother Nature and the realities of the snow play business.
After an up-and-down start to the season, conditions are looking great for the later half of January, assuming Mother Nature doesn’t throw us any curve balls. In the immediate future, the National Weather Service is predicting THREE Storms over the next 5 days (see the HERE), with the first scheduled for Wednesday/Thursday. Snow levels are expected to drop as low as 2,000 to 3,000 feet by next Sunday. This, of course, means MORE SNOW for us and more SNOWPLAY for you. If you plan on making a trip up here this week to play with us, PLEASE pay close attention to the weather reports via your favorite Weather App and the road conditions via the CalTrans Website.
As we get closer to the weekend, we will update the Website and Facebook Page with a weekend forecast. Until then, stay safe and thing snowy thoughts!

We have literally been digging ourselves out of the MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF SNOW this weeks storms dumped on us. In less than 72 hours we got some 4 FEET of fresh snow; and to think that just 5 days ago we were washed out by torrential rains! Out staff has been hard at work moving the powder around and getting the hills and lifts ready, and things couldn’t look better for you this weekend! This is the most snow we have seen on the hill this season, and with the current Winter Storm Warning expiring tonight, the weather reports show fairly clear weather for the next 4 days (partly cloudy and/or sunny, with little chance of precipitation). Forecasts call for additional storms starting next Tuesday, which means we have a PERFECT window right now; a three day holiday weekend, TONS of new snow, and good weather. It also means we are likely to see A LOT of people up here this weekend, and we are looking forward to seeing everyone who couldn’t resist these conditions.

Now, before you start your trip to visit us, pay close attention to A) the weather forecasts via the nightly news or your favorite weather app, and B) the latest road condition updates as provided by CalTrans at http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi. Snow levels this morning were nearly down to 2,000 ft elevations (around Sonora), and although it rose later in the day to about 5,000 ft (Sierra Village and Long Barn), chain controls are in effect for the higher elevations and are likely to persist for at least some early portion of the weekend. We are going to be very busy this week, so PLEASE, for your fastest and most accurate information check with Cal Trans about chain controls rather than calling us or message us with questions.

Again, we are OPEN again and ready for you this weekend. We have PLENTY of snow, more than we need for great snow tubing conditions. We look forward to a busy holiday weekend, and hope to see you up here soon to take advantage of these conditions. If recent history has shown you anything, conditions can change rapidly, so if you NEED to get your snow fix this season, rest assured… LELAND SNOWPLAY is your best bet for a safe, fun day in some awesome snow!


Leland Snowplay will remain closed Tuesday and Wednesday, in anticipation of heavy snow fall which should enable us to reopen by Thursday, just in time for a great Martin Luther King Weekend. The warmer storm and rain may have temporarily shut down many of the Ski Resorts and Winter Areas, but our Snow Making Crew and Snow Cats will be working overtime with Mother Nature this week to get our hills and lifts back to prime condition for the weekend. For anyone who may be planning a trip up here this weekend, please stay tuned here for the latest updates. Again, we will remain closed Tuesday and Wednesday, and hope to reopen Thursday Morning.