On January 1 we temporarily suspended snowplay operations due to the drought-like conditions and the unseasonably warm weather plaguing Northern California. Those conditions have NOT changed. We are monitoring the weather systems forecast to impact the region to start the month, but as of this time, they have NOT been cold enough or strong enough to allow us to reopen. We remain optimistic, and as these storms arrive, there are three considerations to keep in mind:
1. Just because it is raining in the valley doesn’t mean it is snowing in the mountains. As a general rule, it is 15 to 20 degrees colder at our elevation than it is in the valley (specifically the Modesto area). It needs to be at least 50 degrees in the valley for it to snow here or for us to make snow.
2. Even if it is cold enough, a little rain in the valley does not equal a lot of snow in the mountains. As a general rule, 1 inch of rain in the valley (specifically the Modesto area) equals about 1 foot of snow in the mountains. We need to see at least 1 to 2 feet of snow up here (natural and man made) to reopen for the season.
3. The second we have enough snow to safely reopen, rest assured that we will. However, it takes a lot of work to open up under normal circumstances; month of pre-planning to open for the season, and days of work after the first snow grooming the hills and setting up. If it snows tonight (fingers crossed), we can’t just wake up tomorrow morning and open the doors; but we will put in 16 hour days to open up as fast we can if we can.
Again, we are all waiting on Mother Nature right now, but conditions have not changed yet. As these storms materialize, we will be on standby to fire up the snow making equipment and start setting up for reopening. Please follow us here or on our Facebook Page for any announcements regarding these storms; trust me, we will announce reopening the second we are able. Thank you.